Monday 27 May 2013

Time to make like a pea and S*N*A*P out of it!

05.27.2013
Feeling very ill. Have been completely consumed by carbs (mainly sugars) and fats. Completely bloated, distended and feeling quite poorly. Someone peaked my curiosity about Dr. Esselstyn and I quickly took to his recommendation of oats every day. 

So, here is my strategy...

2/3 cup of Quick Oats = 80% daily recommended fibre, 8 grams of protein and 240 calories. Add to this 1 tblsp each: hemp, chia and flax seeds (process through grinder). So, while he doesn't like smoothies because the fibre is so masticated, it doesn't really count, we've definitely got fibre covered!

But, in lieu of smoothies, I am happy to make a sturdy leafy green based salad (such as massaged kale, which I will post later) to form the "nest" of lunch and dinner. Bring in Dr. Furhman's GBOMBS and the day looks something like this:

Breakfast:
Slow Cooker Steel Cut Oats with Frozen Berry Compote

Lunch:
Base Salad + Pulses (Beans)
     (i.e. Massaged Kale Salad with Lentils & Tahini)

Dinner:
Base Salad + Onions, Mushrooms sautéed in vegan broth

*GBOMBS = Greens, Beans, Onions (includes garlic, leeks, shallots), Mushrooms, Berries & Seeds

As much as I love Dr. McDougall, I plans on avoiding any carb triggers like starchy veg or fruit, grains, rice, flour, etc. for now.

Tonight, I'm making Slow Cooker Apple & Cinnamon Steel Cut Oats for tomorrow's breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment