Friday 14 June 2013

A word of encouragement for the "newbies"

From a fellow newbie, of course! While I have not even had my one year veganniversary yet, I am finding my voice finally. For the first several months, I was completely incapable of talking about veganism, because I was so wrought with guilt, sadness and horror by all that I was learning and seeing. I recently exchanged consolations with a new vegan which I thought I would share in case any one ever reads this silly little blog of mine (it's so obscure,more of a blig, really)...

"It will comfort you to learn that these feelings are VERY common, especially among ethical vegans (meaning, those folks who turn to veganism mainly for ethical and compassionate reasons). The sad fact is, not every person on this planet is willing (or capable) of seeing the truth with which we have scarred our very hearts. If you are crying a lot, if you feel completely alone and isolated, if you feel that it is so enormous that your impact is trivial and worthless, if you are crushed by the guilt of all the years you were contributing to the suffering of animals, then I can reassure you that these moments will soften with time. I didn't make the connection until I was in my early 40s, and feel so ashamed that I did not make this stand decades ago  As long as you stay true to YOUR heart, you will find your path and your happiness. Another new thing is that you will, unfortunately, find a lot of hot headed abolitionists within the vegan community.. heck, you may even become one yourself  Just know that, if this is not your preference, there are many peaceful vegans as well." 
.






We've got your back, kid!









No comments:

Post a Comment